It is in a notarial act organizing the division of the brothers Mantegazza’s legacy issued in1528 that has been discovered the first information concerning the house. Some eight years later is registered an exchange between the Radegonda nuns and the brethren from the San Dionigi Convent that revealed the noble mansion and confirmed Giovanni Mantegazza’s permanent investment who had obtained it from the nuns.
The mansion had already been built in a U shape. The west wing is supposed to be the centre of the architecture of 1500, as we notice a basement, and possessing a room on the ground floor, and stairs and bedrooms on the first floor; it was the manorial house. At south, the courtyard was divided between peasants who lived in the kitchen, and between wine and oil presses and the tool shed. At north stood the bailiff’s house. The garden was designed following the Italian style as shown in the maps dating from 1723, which were of the actual dimensions.
In 1717 the house was bought by the Macinaghi brothers who started restructuring, and who built a second body to the house, perpendicular, in order to house all of their respective families, and by this way bringing the mansion to its actual size.Even the garden was newly designed with the creation of a pergola, and the adjunction of perspectives, gates and recreational spaces.
The mansion then passed to the Parravicini family and then to Fortunato Lampugnani who died without heirs. And after a few different successions and acquisitions the mansion went to the Major Hospital of Milan. We bought it at last from the hospital during public auction.
This aristocratic mansion faces Piazza Trivulzio with its arched gate, and benefits from a courtyard closed off by the three foundations of the walls, as the building is U-shaped.
Two sides of the building on three floors forms an L, when at North the body of the structure is lower. The facades are sober but are decorated with moldings at the windows and painted fake windows that have now disappeared. Two living rooms overlooking the garden had been imagined for the ground floor.
Province of Milan
Population 1742 (31/12/2005)
Cassinetta di Lugagnano still beholds its aspect of an oasis of tranquility at the margin of the metropolitan area, thanks to its fascinating 18th century mansions built by Milanese patricians who spent their summer vacations there and took care of their economical interest depending on the investments relative to the agricultural assets.
To get to the main roads, you can reach Abbiategrasso, which is 3km away or Magenta, 6km.
The land, which also comprises the old “cascine” Piatti and Bardena was unified as a single district in 1860. Its most ancient center is Lugagnano on the right bank of the Naviglio, where the first installations go back to the Roman Era.
Signs of ancient graves that have been found are kept at the Pisani Dossi museum, in Corbetta. These relics are possibly anterior to the year 1000; the stone sarcophagus and the earthenware and glass plates and china come from an undefined era and have been found in Cassinetta’s countryside.
Lugagnano is a vast territory, which stretches to the boundaries of Abbiategrasso and Robecco, and where a castle surrounded by moats and a church dedicated to St Protais were discovered. The first documents go back to 1251 “… March 1st, Mirano Crotto de Frigerio Crotto d’Habiate, residing in Milano, bequeaths his assets posted in the Lugagnano and Abbiategrasso territory to the Monastery of Chiaravalle.”
It is possible that the name comes from the Latin “lucanianus”, an adjective derived from the proper noun “Lucanius”. During medieval times, the village was the fiefdom of some different masters around a castle. During the 13th century it was property of the Casterno family, and then of the Pietrasanta family. Umberto di Pietrasanta sold it to the neighboring territory, Robecco, in 1358. The duke of Milano Francesco Sforza gave it as fiefdom to Baldassare Barzi and his heirs in 1451, with the right to produce bread, wine and meat.
Cassinetta’s history has been calmer, and its independence and autonomy has been.