the-village-cassinetta-lugagnano

Cassinetta still beholds its aspect of an oasis of tranquility at the margin of the metropolitan

Cassinetta di Lugagnano still beholds its aspect of an oasis of tranquillity at the margin of the metropolitan area, thanks to its fascinating 18th-century mansions built by Milanese patricians who spent their summer vacations there and took care of their economical interest depending on the investments relative to the agricultural assets. To get to the main roads, you can reach Abbiategrasso, which is 3km away or Magenta, 6km. The land, which also comprises the old “Cascine” Piatti and Bardena was unified as a single district in 1860. Its most ancient centre is Lugagnano on the right bank of the Naviglio, where the first installations go back to the Roman Era. Signs of ancient graves that have been found are kept at the Pisani Dossi museum, in Corbetta. These relics are possibly anterior to the year 1000; the stone sarcophagus and the earthenware and glass plates and china come from an undefined era and have been found in Cassinetta’s countryside. Lugagnano is a vast territory, which stretches to the boundaries of Abbiategrasso and Robecco, and where a castle surrounded by moats and a church dedicated to St Protais were discovered. The first documents go back to 1251 “… March 1st, Mirano Crotto de Frigerio Crotto d’Habiate, residing in Milano, bequeaths his assets posted in the Lugagnano and Abbiategrasso territory to the Monastery of Chiaravalle.” It is possible that the name comes from the Latin “lucanianus”, an adjective derived from the proper noun “Lucanius”. During medieval times, the village was the fiefdom of some different masters around a castle. During the 13th century, it was the property of the Casterno family, and then of the Pietrasanta family. Umberto di Pietrasanta sold it to the neighbouring territory, Robecco, in 1358. The duke of Milano Francesco Sforza gave it as a fiefdom to Baldassare Barzi and his heirs in 1451, with the right to produce bread, wine and meat. Cassinetta’s history has been calmer, and its independence and autonomy have been maintained. Its name probably comes from Cassina Biraga, with reference to Maffiolo Birago, one of the figures who most influenced the history of the village. Maffiolo Birago In 1435 Maffiolo Birago, Master of Hall of the Ducal Chamber of Filippo Maria Visconti ordered the construction of the most ancient Church dedicated to Beata Vergine and S.Antonio Abate. On the facade of the Church, we can still see the Birago Family’s coat of arm as well as a gothic inscription recording the foundation date. In 1428 the Birago ordered the construction of a canal, derived from the Naviglio Grande, which passes through the village providing energy to the local mill (still existent and working). The villas or so-called Case da Nobile are the major patrimonies of Cassinetta . Along the Naviglio Canal you can find Villa Beolco-Negri (Nowdays Cassinetta’s City Hall), Villa Negri, Villa Visconti Castiglini Maineri, Villa Krentzlin, Spirito House, ans Villa Castiglione Nai Bossi. Along the rosd to Corbetta in Bardena zone you can find Villa Bodio Parravicini Bottiglia. Not far fron m the Naviglio ae located Villa Mörlin-Visconti, Villa Frotta Eusebio, Casa Mantegazza Macinaghi (our B&B) and the neoclassic Villa Trivulzio and Birago Clari Monzini. (by courtesy of Ruggero Repossi)